Tuesday, July 05, 2005

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and
his beard trimmed. As the barber began to work, they
began to have a good conversation. They talked about
so many things and various subjects.

When they eventually touched on the subject of God,
the barber said: "I don't believe that God exists."
"Why do you say that?" asked the customer. "Well,
you just have to go out in the street to realize
that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists,
would there be so many sick people? Would there be
abandoned children? If God existed, there would be
neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving
God who would allow all of these things."

The custom er thought for a moment, but didn't
respond because he didn't want to start an argument.
The barber finished his job and the customer left
the shop. Just after he left the barbershop, he saw
a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair
and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and unkempt.

The customer turned back and entered the barber shop
again and he said to the barber: "You know what?
Barbers do not exist." "How can you say that?" asked
the surprised barber. "I am here, and I am a barber.
And I just worked on you!" "No!" the customer
exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did,
there would be no people with dirty long hair and
untrimmed beards, like that man outside."

"Ah, but barbers DO exist! What happens is, people
do not come to me."

"Exactly!"- affirmed the customer. "That's the
point! God, too, DOES exist! What happens, is,
people don't go to Him and do not look for Him.
That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the
world."

2 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natalie I just had a feeling about you when you joined our other board, rarely have I been able to connect with all the newbies who joined us. I am so glad you joined our board, and I love this post, I love your writing style and just wanted to tell you that your doing a great job with your new blog. May it bring you many happy moments of learning and reflection and of course the release that journaling gives a person, with one plus. You can finally get feed back. How many times in ones life does one keep a journal of secret thougts and wondered, "if only the people I wanted to know how I feel could some how read these words", and then we would hide it and think no way!!!! and flush with embarrassment. But on a blog, you can express, with limits of course, and get postitive feedback thats better than any group therapy, that costs tons of money and is not nearly as convienient.
debs

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Still Not Goin Quietly said...

Wow, thanks Deb. I am soooo glad I joined our merry little band;o) That is one awesome group of ladies. I've tried a couple of other boards but most boards are just not tolerant of anyone who doesn't think just like they do. I like to concentrate on the things that we have in common, of which there are plenty, instead of the things that separate us.
You rock!
Natalie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home